[sldev] Mouse on 3D object

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Mon Jan 25 22:39:07 PST 2010

Rustam Rakhimov wrote:

> I think you didn't get my question.
>
> I wanna realize something like MS Paint program. LIke you will choose
> some paint brush then using this brush you will draw anything on BOX
> for example. And the main thing what I want is, to be available draw
> from any point, I mean from any angle you be allowed to draw.
>
> That's my GOAL

There are facilities for the media plugin to track mouse and keyboard
input. I suspect they are based on the same internal viewer functions
that send data to the touch functions in LSL. Getting them to work with
the media plugin may be reasonably easy. The trick would be letting
everyone else in a sim see them. Using LSL touch functions you can rez
temp prims at various positions along the surface of the prim you are
drawing on. The drawback is that it may take hundreds, or even a
thousand or so prims to make a complicated drawing and much of it will
be gone within a few seconds that you finish the drawing if not before,
but at least everyone else can see them.

An alternative method is to use a drawing app displayed on a webpage and
let the user draw on the webpage. This requires the webkit media plugin
to work and I'm not sure how reliable it is yet but everyone watching
the webpage could see what is being drawn.

Other alternatives would be some kind of VNC on a prim ala Aimee's
Recursive Life demo. That goes back to the question of how to display
the image for everyone else to see.

My own [proposed] solution is to do some kind of VNC thing via a
mediaplugin so that the lecturer/artist can have realtime control of
what is drawing, and then rebroadcast it via streaming media. This would
cause about a 10 second lag for the audience from what I have seen and
from talking to people who use media streaming for lectures.

There are no doubt more complicated and interesting strategies
available. I'm hoping to get rendering from squeak smalltalk to media
plugin working locally reasonably soon now. Getting it to the point
where others can see it will be a lot more work, I suspect.

I've got a few diagrams and examples of what people have already
done/are trying to do listed on a wiki page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Saijanai_Kuhn/Plugins_discussion

Lawson