[opensource-dev] Brown-bag meeting to continue dialog on TVPV next Tuesday (4/13)

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 10:14:18 PDT 2010

Hi Joe,

In case I don't make the Brown Bag, I just wanted to point out the fact
that simply developers, which includes how Linden Lab has invested
resources to sustain such world, don't share a view with users that
Virtual Reality that Virtual Reality is not just a game. This
realization is actually desired despite the politics of how we all move
from what has been said virtual is not really virtual. I won't digress
here about the subject, yet the monitor in front of us we can't touch
and see and that is not 'fake' as some people treat virtual to only
mean. I even imagine a house size 'monitor' where every wall can act as
an interactive colorful display that consists of many organized liquid
crystal units spread on like paint. That's the future... for now we have
e-paper. It's something we can't really just say is not possible
anymore, and it is something that may affect how we see content (or
broken content) in relation to policies like the TPV.

I gather from the TPV that is it intended to help prevent broken
content, yet it has been easily attacked. I think the notion of how to
deal with broken content gets lost when developers worry more about how
to protect their liabilities. Developers simply want to say 'use at your
own risk' from a software development standpoint, yet that doesn't give
anything to help ensure content doesn't break.

With that in mind, any word that implies 'responsibility' somehow hasn't
carried the concern about how to prevent content breakage when anybody
connects to SL Grid.I'm sure we don't want to paint our houses with a
'use at your own risk' and expect to say it is baby-safe. What would a
baby see if an accidental bump in the wall activated something that
parents would consider an undesirable experience for baby or child. I
can only imagine the horror if the scene of the wall suddenly changed to
spook the baby as if monsters came out of the wall. Maybe this isn't
quite broken content, yet it is still an ideal situation to mention to
level where 'responsibility' is distinct from 'liabilities'.

Just something to think about....