[opensource-dev] Requesting Linden Response: Please move TPVP Topics to a different mailing list

Aidan Thornton makosoft at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 17 07:02:10 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 14. April 2010 20:49:59 schrieb Joe Linden:
>
>> **we've had a lot of internal debate around cost/benefit of OS **... and
>> we're fully committed to redoubling our commitment to make this a
>> successful program*."
>

> then... how about... opensourcing the SERVER (like someone pretty high up
> suggested several years ago)?
>

> and there's no reason to be afraid that giving away the other half of the
> software would cause you longtime harm anyways...
>
> ...after all, the grid is more than server & client. the grid also is all
> those boxes that it is running on... no way that a competitior could pull
> 10000 PCs out of a hat on short notice.
>
> on the other hand, I would like to bet actual money on the following
> predictions:
>
> - 48 hours after the server code is out in the open, the 25 groups limit has
> been lifted, AND the whole IM/group chat subsystem has been migrated to XMPP
> (including voice via XMPP); another day and there's the possibility to connect
> to jabber.sl.net with any xmpp client, AND talk to friends at any jabber
> service.

XMPP doesn't actually scale that well, unfortunately; a lot of the
really big installs actually run their own protocol internally with
better scaling.

> - a few weeks later, all communications between client and server, and the
> various server subsystems, has been ported to tcp/ssl and is transaction safe.

Unlikely. Transactions are hard.

There's some low-hanging fruit with regards to LSL support though. In
theory, one should be able to statically verify nearly all traditional
non-Mono LSL scripts, and then optionally compile them down to native
code. (The static verification would probably take a day or two to
code; compilation down to native code would take longer and have more
interesting tradeoffs. Direct threading might be a better approach.)