[opensource-dev] Thank you for updating the Viewer Directory requirements

Andromeda Quonset andromedaquonset at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 12:52:58 PDT 2010

At 12:40 PM 4/28/2010, you wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:02:24 +0200, Marine Kelley wrote:
>
> > Hi, I'd like to thank whoever changed the application page on the Viewer
> > Directory, the RL info fields used to be "publishable" (they had a little
> > cross next to the little star indicating that they were mandatory), and
> > that's what was holding me from registering the RLV there. Today I just
> > noticed that these fields (RL name, address etc) are not "publishable"
> > anymore, which mostly addresses the concerns I had before, namely having my
> > RL info published without my agreement.
> Therefore I have applied to register
> > the RLV on the Viewer Directory today, we'll see how it goes.
>
>This is still *way* beyond what I am ready to provide to LL: it is *illegal*
>in France to require private data that is not strictly necessary to provide
>a service. Reference: Law Informatique et Liberté, Article 6, paragraph 3
>(http://www.cnil.fr/fileadmin/documents/en/Act78-17VA.pdf), citation:
>"The collected data [...] shall be adequate, relevant, and not excessive
>in relation to the purpose for which their are obtained and their further
>processing."
>
>Being published in the directory should not be made conditional to the
>divulgation of my real name and address. All what Linden Lab needs to
>have is my avatar name and an ISP based email (which they both already
>got): even in case of a legal issue, this info is sufficient for the
>police or the justice to identify me.
>
>Beside, given LL clearly states that they can modify the TPV policy at any
>time, how could you be sure that they won't suddenly decide to reveal your
>private data publicly ?... Another concern is about the security of your
>data. Linden Lab has already an history with data theft (see:
>http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2006/09/12/Second_Life_servers_hacked/1)
>and this may happen again, particularly with secondary and weakly protected
>databases such as the TPV directory.
>
>Sorry, but I will not endanger my real life by risking to get my real name
>publicly associated with my SL avatar name.
>As a French citizen, I will go by the French law which allows me to stay
>anonymous and preserve my private data.
>
>I already raised this concern, but apparently Linden Lab is ignoring it...
>
>For this reason and although fully TPV policy compliant, the Cool VL Viewer
>will not be registered in LL's TPV directory.
>
>Henri.

Henri,

I appreciate your reasons on this.  Also, I
happen to predominantly use the Cool Viewer.
In addition, I also make a simple bot
product.  Since it isn't "graphical", I don't consider it a "viewer".

I received an official-looking email 2 days ago
from Linden Labs concerning third party viewers.
The first paragraph was quite interesting:

"This is just a quick reminder that the
<https://email.secondlife.com/servlet/cc6?kJgKtMQWUWQYVgmuLjpJQkljpgnxnuHptQJhuVaVS>Policy
on Third-Party Viewers will take effect this
Friday, April 30, 2010. To continue to enjoy
Second Life without interruption or
inconvenience, please check to make sure that you
are using the latest version of a compliant viewer."

This seems to me to be a contradiction to what LL
has said here.  There is an implication that
TPV's that are not in the TPV Directory will be blocked.

That aside, I investigated the application form
for the 3rd party viewer.  It does ask for my
real name, but has that already filled-out for
me, and is marked as something they won't
publish.  It asks for age verification, which I
completed years ago.  They have my payment
information on-file already. It also asks for a
secondary email address to use with my viewer,
and that I already publish widely.

It does NOT ask for the address for where I live.

As for data-theft issues, I am not
unsympathetic.  A few months ago, Citicorp made
an error and I was included in the group of
_customers_ that had their Social Security
numbers printed on the front of the envelope.

Andro