[opensource-dev] Thank you for updating the Viewer Directory requirements

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 21:29:15 PDT 2010

On 29/04/2010 1:43 PM, Latif Khalifa wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Henri Beauchamp <sldev at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> In fact, it probably comes from the fact that Linden Lab uses contradictory
>> phrases in the TPV policy and in the TPV directory.
>>
>> Quoting the former:
>>
>> "Unlike the other sections of this Policy, participation in the Viewer
>> Directory is currently not a requirement for connecting to Second Life."
>>
>> And quoting the latter:
>>
>> "Beware of third-party viewers that are not in the Viewer Directory – they
>> have either declined to self-certify or been refused for noncompliance
>> with our policies."
>>
>> So, registering to the directory is clearly not a requirement to be
>> considered as TPV-policy compliant, but on the other hand LL suggests that
>> the viewers which are not in the directory are "dangerous" ones...
>> This is both unfair and very close to pure diffamation.
>>
> I agree that this is very unfortunate wording on part of Linden Lab. I
> have got a lot of concerned emails and some comments on the site[1]
> "will I be banned if I continue to use Radegast" due to that "beware"
> sentence on the directory page. Some of the emails I got were almost
> panicky. I hope the wording can be changed in order not to cause panic
> and uncertainty among TPV users.
>
> Latif
>
> [1] - http://radegastclient.org/wp/2010/04/radegast-1-16-released/#comments

Yeah, after the blog post from Marty yesterday, there's a lot of chatter
among users who are concerned that they'll be banned if they don't
switch back to an official viewer or one in the directory ASAP. It's
certainly easy enough to see how they got that impression.

--
Tateru Nino
Contributing Editor http://massively.com/