No subject

Wed Apr 28 21:25:55 PDT 2010

anti-fragmentation measure.  I don't think it's literally a desire to make
the TPV devs wait until the official viewer catches up (and definitely not
to make TPV people "develop [features] for the LL viewer").

To help allay the concern, though, I think there could be some sort of
"with specifications released by LL" exception - once an API has been
hashed out and released, I can't think of any benefit to making the TPV
wait.  That'd make the rule a little more tightly focused on getting TPVs
to make specs that LL's willing to endorse and use.

Celi

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:18 PM, Jessica Lyon <
jessica.lyon at phoenixviewer.com> wrote:

> Actually, under 2.k, features like breast physics, secondary attachments,
> shared parcel WL etc, would have never been permitted to exist. And this
> means that any feature in the future to which a TPV may conjur up, which
> effects the shared experience (Ie. something one user could see but another
> couldn't) will need to be developed for the LL viewer by TPV devs, accepted
> by LL, released by LL before a TPV may release it themselves. Another
> example would be the Mesh deformer from Qarl, if LL were not interested in
> it.. none of us would be allowed to release it in our viewers.
>
> Jessica Lyon
> Project Manager
> The Phoenix Viewer Project, Inc.
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Cinder Roxley <cinder at cinderblocks.biz>wrote:
>
>>  Yes, you're mistaken. The key phrase there is "alters the shared
>> experience of the virtual world".  A tpv can alter individual user's
>> experiences, (UI, build tools, controls, graphics enhancements) but not the
>> shared experience of the world.  IE, exposing information such as the
>> friend online visibility of *other users*.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> -Cinder
>>

>> On 2/24/2012 4:44 PM, Nalates Urriah wrote:
>>
>> Does this new policy essentially eliminate the reason for the existence
>> of 3rd party viewers:
>>
>> 2.k : You must not provide any feature that alters the shared experience
>> of the virtual world in any way not provided by or accessible to users of
>> the latest released Linden Lab viewer.
>>

>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Third-Party-Viewer-Policy-Changes/m-p/1399141
>>
>> This seems to say all changes can be submitted to LL but not implemented
>> until and unless LL approves them and adds them to the SL viewer. Am I
>> mistaken?
>>
>> --
>> Nalates Urriah (SL AV)

>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/OpenSource-Dev
>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting
>> privileges
>>

> --
> Jessica Lyon
> Phoenix Viewer Project Inc
> http://phoenixviewer.com

--90e6ba6e84fc552e3904b9bf56bd

(I am not a lawyer, but...)<br><br>From the text in the blog post, it looks=
 like it&#39;s intended to be an anti-fragmentation measure.=A0 I don&#39;t=
 think it&#39;s literally a desire to make the TPV devs wait until the offi=
cial viewer catches up (and definitely not to make TPV people &quot;develop=
 [features] for the LL viewer&quot;).<br>

&quot;with specifications released by LL&quot; exception - once an API has =
been hashed out and released, I can&#39;t think of any benefit to making th=
e TPV wait.=A0 That&#39;d make the rule a little more tightly focused on ge=
tting TPVs to make specs that LL&#39;s willing to endorse and use.<br>

 Lyon <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jessica.lyon at phoenixviewer.co=
m" target=3D"_blank">jessica.lyon at phoenixviewer.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<b=
r><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:=
1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Actually, under 2.k, features like breast physics, secondary attachments, s=
hared parcel WL etc, would have never been permitted to exist. And this mea=
ns that any feature in the future to which a TPV may conjur up, which effec=
ts the shared experience (Ie. something one user could see but another coul=
dn&#39;t) will need to be developed for the LL viewer by TPV devs, accepted=
 by LL, released by LL before a TPV may release it themselves. Another exam=
ple would be the Mesh deformer from Qarl, if LL were not interested in it..=
 none of us would be allowed to release it in our viewers.<br>

 Roxley <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:cinder at cinderblocks.biz" ta=

eft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div>
 =20
   =20
 =20
    Yes, you&#39;re mistaken. The key phrase there is &quot;alters the shar=
ed
    experience of the virtual world&quot;.=A0 A tpv can alter individual us=
er&#39;s
    experiences, (UI, build tools, controls, graphics enhancements) but
    not the shared experience of the world.=A0 IE, exposing information
    such as the friend online visibility of *other users*.<br>
    Kind regards,<br>