[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Andromeda Quonset andromedaquonset at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 17:46:37 PDT 2010

I shall attempt to clarify my clarification.
I realize in point of fact that you are not
saying that my current, login name, of Andromeda
Quonset was going to change to something else.

What I was attempting to do was post what amounts to pseudocode.  My mistake.

What I said was if I set my DISPLAY NAME to "Andromeda DisplayName".

But, essentially, you are saying that if I set my
display name to "Andromeda DisplayName", a script
call to something like llDetectedName() is going
to return "Andromeda Quonset" every time.  If I
want something to return "Andromeda DisplayName",
then it is going to have to be by using some new
function we haven't seen such as llDetectedDisplayName().

You said that "* Scripts will work the same
across all viewer versions. Scripts are server
side. It does not matter which viewer you use."

I'm sure you are more aware of how the internals
work than I do, but if scripts are server-side,
and I am logged-in and interacting with a script
that uses llDetectedDisplayName() (or
llGetDisplayName), then it seems to me that what
is returned to me would be whatever the
server-side thinks my display name is, regardless
of my being logged-in with viewer 1 or viewer 2,
and regardless of which viewer the script writer
was logged in with when compiled.

At 05:30 PM 8/17/2010, you wrote:
>* Scripts will work the same across all viewer
>versions. Scripts are server side. It does not matter which viewer you use.
>
>* You will never be Andromeda DisplayName.

I was trying to use this as an example display name.

>* You will never be Andromeda Resident

I was also trying to use this as an example display name.

>* You will never be Andromeda.Quonset Resident

Well, that's good, because that looks ugly.

>* You will always be Andromeda Quonset to all
>existing scripts and all scripts that do not use new DisplayName functions.

What I am concerned about is how scripts that use
the new functions are going to work.

>* If you never use a new viewer and do not set a
>display name you will always be Andromeda
>Quonset to everyone else, no matter what viewer
>they use. New llGetDisplayName function will
>still return Andromeda Quonset. New
>llGetUserName function may return  Andromeda.Quonset.

You are certain of this?  It was my understanding
from the faq that if I don't set a display name,
that the default will be "andromeda.quonset"
(Existing first name in all lower-case followed
by a dot followed by existing last name all in lower-case)

My question about the functionality of scripts
based on the viewer version is based on the
history of some new functions that became
available quite some time ago, and which
functioned differently at runtime depending on
which viewer one was logged in with, such as
llDetectedTouchFace, which did require some
viewer support to function correctly.