[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

Tateru Nino tateru at taterunino.net
Wed Aug 18 02:07:44 PDT 2010

On 18/08/2010 6:50 PM, Lance Corrimal wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2010 10:20:03 Henri Beauchamp wrote:
>

>> Why restricting new user names to "Resident" ?
> It's not a restriction.
>
> the whole thing, as far as i can see, boils down to this:
>
> there's the login, and the display name.
>
> the login is _one_ word, chosen at account creation, and will stay the same
> forever. For example, it could be something like andromeda02 or whatever.
> the display name can be anything, and can be changed once a week.
> So if you would create a new account for whatever reasons, you could choose
> feedledumthebard as your login, and set your display name to "Henri Beauchamp
> the 2nd."
>
> What will happen to old accounts is that their login will be constructed by
> using their avatar name, lowercase, and connecting the two pieces with a dot,
> and by default their Display name will be the original avatar name.
That's where we connect with the viewer. Input and presentation. I can't
say as I'm thrilled by the account name being shown as 'tateru.nino' in
every place that the account name is displayed (or expected) by the
viewer. I've got capital letters and a space in my original name, after
all - and my expectation would be for the account-name to preserve that
(or if it is transforming it because the schema can't handle an 0x20, to
conceal that transformation from the viewer presentation layers insofar
as is possible to do so).

Heck, make my account/login '93ede1c5e1363385eb577efc312ae11d' and I'm
still just as happy - so long as what is /displayed /and /typed /as my
account name is still "Tateru Nino"

Having my account name visibly changed as a part of the process
(regardless of what is or is not done with display names) seems
unnecessary and lazy.

Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/