[opensource-dev] display names = the end of 1.x viewers?

David M Chess chess at us.ibm.com
Wed Aug 18 05:51:23 PDT 2010

Lance wrote:

> What keeps me from, lets say, creating a throwaway alt, setting its
Display
> Name to "Stiletto Moody", and hanging out at that famous shoe shop
telling
> people that the place will close down and that all rights to the designs
have
> been sold to (whatever the place is that will sell copybotted versions).
> Other than the fear of having that throwaway alt getting permanently
banned in
> maybe a year or two when the g-team gets around to doing it.

This isn't much different from what you can do today, by creating a
throwaway group with the tag "Moody Customer Service" and doing the same
thing.

Is it a huge problem?  I don't see any evidence that it is.  It does
happen occasionally, but y'know: welcome to Earth.

Will it become a huge problem with it can be the display name, rather than
the group tag, that can be anything?

I don't see any reason to think so, myself.

Certainly it *will* be a good idea to stress to people that display names
can be anything.  But of course since everyone will have chosen their own,
and known that they could choose anything, they will sort of know that! :)

DC