[opensource-dev] Display names, again.

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri Aug 20 01:31:28 PDT 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:18:44 +0200, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:
> On Friday 20 August 2010 10:08:13 Opensource Obscure wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:44:47 +1000, Tateru Nino <tateru.nino at gmail.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > Forwarding your questions through the PR channels, Lance. Although,
>> > from the documentation provided by the Lab so far, the answer to
>> > question one is 'no'.
>>
>> a few email messages ago, Kelly replied to Ann Otoole:
>>
>> "No new user can create ann.otoole OR annotoole as a username,
>> that name is taken by you"
>>
>> Isn't this the point of question one?
>
> NO.
> my point is this:
> my "true avatar name" is Lance Corrimal so will there be anything
> PREVENTING
> (not just putting something like "we ask you pretty please do not ..."
in
> the
> FAQ) others from using that as theit DISPLAY NAME ???

I think computer systems exist that are advanced enough to
block such a request ;-) I guess they would work like the
existing system, that blocks you if you try to register an
account with an existing combination of First and Last name.
Additionally, this system would also check for further
combinations of existing First and Last name. That is,
LanceCorrimal won't be accepted,
Lance.Corrimal won't be accepted,
Opensource.Obscure won't be accepted, etc

In the current registration process you don't find a Linden
kindly asking you not to use existing names. There's a
system filter at work, that has been probably modified
in order to support the new system.

Opensource Obscure