[opensource-dev] Draw Distance

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 02:09:02 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Miro Collas <miro.collas at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's what I referring to, the command line commands. VERY handy! And
> dd is one I use a great deal.

The problem I have with that is that the draw distance is only one of
several debug settings that affect performance. I've been running with
deferred rendering enabled for the past few months and I've had to
enable/disable shadow maps & SSAO all the time, but I hardly ever
touch the draw distance. What's more, using a general method of
changing debug settings through chat would let us create gestures that
changed a whole group of settings all at the same time. So when
entering a laggy sim you could trigger one gesture that did all of
this.

/set RenderFarClip 128
/set RenderVolumeLODFactor 2.0
/set WindLightUseAtmosShaders 0

With a system like this you could change any setting on the fly
without ever having to open the UI which would be great for filming
machinima. Cam into a building and turn on global illumination and
crank up the SSAO settings for deep highlights, cam back out and put
SSAO back to the defaults and turn off GI for a better frame rate.