[opensource-dev] Malicious payloads in third-party viewers: is the policy worth anything?

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Sun Aug 22 11:50:53 PDT 2010

As they shouldn't be!
Although one does wonder whether users are now at risk of being banned
if they keep using it

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM, Lance Corrimal
<Lance.Corrimal at eregion.de> wrote:
> Am Sunday 22 August 2010 schrieb L. Christopher Bird:
>> On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jesse Barnett <jessesa at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> > Ignoring this and giving the all clear with no other action taken
>> > on the part of Linden Lab will instead demonstrate that the TPV
>> > is a worthless scrap of paper.
>>
>> Correction, it only exist on paper if printed. The proper phrase is
>> "a worthless configuration of pixels"
>>
>> The TPVP makes it clear what the consequences are for breaking the
>> policy. 8c says:
>>
>> "If a Third-Party Viewer or your use or distribution of it violates
>> this Policy or any Linden Lab policy, your permission to access
>> Second Life using the Third-Party Viewer shall terminate
>> automatically. You acknowledge and agree that we may require you
>> to stop using or distributing a Third-Party Viewer for accessing
>> Second Life if we determine that there is a violation."
>>
>> So either the lab will enforce this, or they will say "Well you are
>> so popular you can screw around all you want".  Is Emerald the
>> viewer "too big to fail"?
>>
>> -- ZenMondo
>
> I just looked and emerald's not in the tpv directory anymore.

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow