[opensource-dev] RenderVolumeLODfactor (branch from Draw Distance)

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:26:06 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Trilo Byte <trilobyte550m at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually, it would be nice if RenderVolumeLODfactor could either
> persist from one version to the next (instead of getting reset with everey
> new version installation), or be set based on GPU detection.

Put it in the settings_per_account.xml file.

> I imagine the default of 1.125 is based on "class 0" (intel integrated graphics)
> but anybody using better than that can go to 2.0 at a bare minimum.  More
> powerful GPU's can easily handle 4.0, and from my experience the
> ATI 4xxx series and above/nVidia 9xxx series and above can do 6.0.

 The default for class 1 and up is 2.0.

> On a side note, I've found that setting above 6.0 can have unexpected and
> unwanted results, most notably 'disappearing prims' with smaller sculpts
> (necklace chains, etc).

That's because you're running into RenderMaxNodeSize.

> Having to manually jump into debug settings with every viewer release
> is a pain.  If it could be auto-detected, that would save a lot of novice users
> from having to mess around in the Advanced/Debug menu

I'll counter that by saying people shouldn't be making jewelery with
500,000 vertices. We need mesh uploads, if only so people can make
necklaces that don't have more geometry data than half a sim.