[opensource-dev] Draw Distance

Bunny Halberd bunny at bunnynet.org
Mon Aug 23 13:12:27 PDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Martin Spernau <martin at traumwind.de> wrote:

> Isn't that much like in photography, where you have different kinds of
> 'automatic' (shutter speed vc aperture auto) ... and depending on your
> creatice needs the one is betzer than the other and vice versa
> Maybe the 'optimize for high fps' and 'optimize for view distance'
> would be the viewer equivalöents

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Most cameras have several settings:

 - Auto (this is the default and most people just leave it here)
 - Portrait (short depth of field, center weight the exposure)
 - Landscape (very long depth of field, balance the exposure)
 - Fully Manual (that's what SL has today)

I've often wondered why there isn't an "auto" setting on SL where it
can manage the draw distance for you, if you want it to. Just like the
fully automatic mode on a camera.

- Bunny