[opensource-dev] Announce: realXtend Naali 0.1 (alpha) client viewer

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 02:02:18 PST 2010

realXtend is proud to announce the first major alpha release of its
groundbreaking multi-use virtual world client viewer, Naali. We are
hoping this release will see widespread user testing, to help us
refine and improve our work. Naali is alpha software and missing many
features, but we hope, with your feedback, to make Naali the "Firefox"
of virtual worlds.

Demo video can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iiE66hY-RU

Both source code and binaries can be found on our project website:
http://code.google.com/p/realxtend-naali/

Naali is released under the Apache 2.0 software license, and available
for the following platforms:

* Windows: Binary installer
* Linux: Full source and build instructions
* Mac: In progress

Naali is implemented in C++ (using Qt and Ogre3D) and Python. Bindings
for JavaScript are also planned. It is designed using a modular and
scalable architecture, with easy repurposing for a wide variety of
applications by simply dropping in new components.

Naali is intended to work with any virtual world protocol through its
modular architecture, however currently only support for SLUDP-based
protocols through OpenSim are implemented.

Naali comes with a reference server implementation called Taiga,
which adds mesh-based assets, Python server-side scripting, web login
with OpenID, and inventory over WebDAV.

Naali is it true open-source project, which means the community has a
voice in guiding the direction of the project, and commit access is
available to contributors with a proven track record of quality
patches.

Please join us on our mailing lists:
http://groups.google.com/group/realxtend-dev

Or on IRC, on Freenode
#realxtend
#realxtend-dev

More information can be found on our website:
http://wiki.realxtend.org/index.php/Main_Page

Ryan McDougall
http://www.realxtend.org