[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin) maggie at matrisync.com
Thu Feb 18 06:34:37 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Frisby, Adam <adam at deepthink.com.au> wrote:

> From what I understand, Mono ended up implementing a lot of that for Silverlight; although I do not know how the security holds up compared to the official .NET runtime; but AppDomains + CAS is a pretty rock solid sandbox on Windows.

Last I heard, Babbage was trying to recruit volunteer labor to build a
bytecode verifier so the server-side could be safely scripted in C#.

I think we all can agree that a Windows-only viewer is unacceptable.
And that's a fundamental weakness of embracing MSFT tech. Imagine if
LL had to run the grid on licensed Windows servers to get acceptable
performance...not that they're getting it now, and the Mono LSL
implementation is a big part of that problem.