[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Ricky kf6kjg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 23:16:11 PST 2010

I suspect that there are two things being discussed here without
distinction: Client scripting, and client extensions.  Confusing the two is
easy.

Client-side scripting SHOULD be sandboxed, and in a controlled set of
languages.  For a close example think of javascript in web browsers.

Client extensions, or alternatively named as "plugins", would be modules
that can be plugged in and out of the client and run /as if/ they were a
part of the client.  Think of browser add-ons/plugins/extensions.

Client side scripts could (read might be, could possibly, needs further
thought, etc.) be given permission to be loaded in by worn items
automatically.  Other objects would likely need to request permission via a
security warning.

Client extensions would have to be downloaded and installed externally; not
delivered in-world.  These would truly be programs on your computer, and
should be treated as such.

Just my thoughts hoping for a clearer discussion.

Ricky
Cron Stardust