[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 18:59:11 PST 2010

> and this is where languages like perl/python have a strength since the
> files are plain text
> so if you think that a script is doing something funky you can just
> look at the script and see. Mono/dotnet code is compiled and very
> easily could hide just about anything.

I think using anything but Lua or Javascript (each of which has
sandboxed implementations and a community of people already familiar
with client-side scripting like this) for any kind of server-pushed
client side scripting needs an exceptional justification. The only
case I can se for using Mono here is to allow people to write client-
side scripts that can not be easily eyeballed by the users. There is
of course a community in SL which would consider this an important
goal, but given the state of the client and the security model (and
I'd be happy to discuss that offlist) I don't think that's a
reasonable design goal.