[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin) maggie at matrisync.com
Fri Feb 19 11:29:16 PST 2010

The socket-based approach has the advantages of being
OS-platform-neutral, which CLR is not. A JVM-based scripting system
leveraging JSR-223 tech would be more platform-neutral, but is
certainly not what anybody could call "lightweight".

But either of those approaches (as well as others) could be
implemented up against Morgaine's suggestion, and scriptwriters could
choose what dependencies they cared to embrace.  I seem to recall not
long ago Philip had a project to implement camera-based facial
expression recognition whose design included a socket based viewer
interface.

(Of course, any client-side scripting will face an outcry from certain
well-known users who rail against making inherent capabilities of the
viewer/server system easier to access or automate as an "invasion of
privacy".)

I think asking the question "what would you *do* with scripting in the
client?" is premature until you identify what client functionality you
can or should expose to scripting. This is an issue I'm currently
wrestling with in working with Project Wonderland (
http://www.projectwonderland.com ), where the scripting architectures
(doesn't have to be restricted to only one implementation) are still
essentially greenfields and the underlying architecture is capable of
operating both on client and server-side objects.