[opensource-dev] Client-side scripting in Snowglobe

Domino Marama domino at dominodesigns.info
Fri Feb 19 13:35:52 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 15:57 -0500, Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)
wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Domino Marama
> <domino at dominodesigns.info> wrote:
>
> > I'd hope things like attachment sizing scripts would move to client side
> > scripts.
>
> I guess that would be nice, but the data that would have to flow to
> the attached hair prims would be substantial....and the prims would
> still have to be scripted. I wouldn't expect to see much savings from
> that.

Depends on implementation. I'm assuming client side scripts won't need
transferring sim to sim on teleports, so scripts such as these that
don't need to be active on the sim seem like good candidates to me.

If anything I'd have thought the data flow with the vehicle scripts
would be more of an issue as that'd be constant messaging between the
client and server parts. It would need careful testing to make sure that
moving the maths client side was more efficient. Even without my crazy
ideas on doing torque based acceleration curves, it's likely that people
will overdo messaging (if it's a feature) with stuff like client hud
speedos for vehicles..