[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Gigs gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 14:27:34 PST 2010

Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Soft Linden <soft at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>> Mike's correct.
>>
>> If you see any wording that's ambiguous about that, let us know.
>

> Well there are many other issues another couple are :-

There are many many other issues.

* It gives Linden Lab the ability to delete your private data:

"You agree to update or delete at our request any data that you have
received from Second Life "

* It includes vague terms that are open ended:

"You must not violate or promote violation of any law or the rights of
any individual or entity"

Any law?  Including Muslim law?  I guess depictions of homosexuality or
women wearing normal clothes are right out.

"if you are a Developer, you are also responsible for all Third-Party
Viewers that you develop or distribute."

Responsible in what way?  No one is going to accept liability for what
their users do with the viewer software.  The GPL specifically allows
developers to disclaim responsibility.  Here you give it back to them.

"Expose Second Life users, Linden Lab, or third parties to legal
liability or harm as determined by us in our sole discretion."

How the hell are we supposed to prevent our users from exposing
themselves to legal liability or harm?  The Internet is a big dangerous
place.  We can't be responsible for what users do.  Period.

"we may request that you add, modify, or remove features, functionality,
code or content, and you agree to comply with the request within a
reasonable timeframe specified by Linden Lab."

The remedy should be solely limited to termination of access to the
Second Life service.  Linden Lab should not be able to "assign work" to
open source developers.

*No* developer should subject themselves to the terms of this draconian
"policy".

We are going to need to know how we can "opt-out" of this and prevent
our viewers from connecting to the Second Life service while remaining
protocol compatible.  The way that it's written, you apparently wind up
bound by it if your users connect to Second Life even if you don't want
them to.