[opensource-dev] So what happens if....

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Wed Feb 24 07:28:15 PST 2010

And now we get griefers spoofing channels specifically to get viewers
banned......

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin)
<maggie at matrisync.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Imaze Rhiano <imaze.rhiano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Now - one of following scenarios would happen - what I should do - and
>> what would be LL's reaction...
>
> Long story short, it seems clear that as soon as somebody is suspected
> of using a ToS-violating viewer, the channel that viewer is running
> under will get blocked, and it will fall to the registered owner of
> the channel (if any) to figure out what happened and who did it in
> order to get their channel restored. Without being able to log on to
> Second Life, since your accounts will be suspended.
>
> Meanwhile, griefers and content copiers will morph automatically to
> unblocked channels. Sure, spoofing channels a ToS violation, but so is
> greifing and content copying. Just as much a feel-good cop-out as
> relying on a handgun ban to stop armed robbery.

“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -
Printcrime by Cory Doctrow