[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Wed Feb 24 16:32:24 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Jason Giglio <gigstaggart at gmail.com> wrote:
> Soft Linden wrote:
>> Legal doesn't intend this to be a restriction on anything but use of
>> our service or eligibility for inclusion in the Viewer Directory.
>> Context is important here. Even the maintainers of GNU telnet won't
>> let someone use telnet to mess up the FSF's servers.
>>
>> Legal is aware that there has been confusion on this. There will be an
>> update soon, which makes the terms more clear.
>
> Is it an actual update to the policy document?
>
> Not a mere FAQ that says "Oh we didn't really mean what the policy says
> in plain English"?

A FAQ and an updated policy are both in the works. I don't know which
of the two this change sits in.

I'm passing on the suggestion that termination should always be one
choice of remedy, per your much earlier mail. Of the things listed, I
think that's the one which could still create a problem for the GPL,
even in a service and directory listing context. A developer can't
agree to be subject to Linden requests that might violate the license
of that developer's software.