[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Feb 24 22:48:38 PST 2010

Carlo Wood wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:45:01PM -0800, Brent Tubbs wrote:
>
>> For a while I've been batting around the idea of creating an SVN-bot to enable
>> much-improved version control for inworld scripts; a must-have when you're
>> developing as part of a team.  The same-creator policy on content export would
>> seem to prohibit that though.
>>
>> I realize that you probably don't want to have different rules for each
>> different content type, but the one-size-fits-all rule in the current policy
>> doesn't fit scripts well at all.
>>

> I didn't even READ the TVP all that well, I'm just going to
> stubbornly use my own common sense. If anything that is not
> common sense is going to be enforced then by all means I don't
> want to be part of SL anymore.
>
> In this case the common sense says: If something is full perm,
> you may export it. Second Inventory does this, and I doubt
> that is suddenly made illegal.

Actually that is NOT common sense. When the author of some intellectual
bit of property agrees to distribution, its generally for existing
channels of distribution only. The SL TOS only applies to intellectual
property distributed by Linden Lab in the manner that the content
creator agreed to. Someone ELSE coming along and saying "oh, full perms
means I own the IP rights to this and can take it anywhere I please and
do anything I want in any way I want without consideration for the
original creator" goes against even the CC license, and the LL full
perms isn't the CC license or any kind of abbreviation of it.

> Scripts that a team work on are definitely full-perm (from the
> point of view of SL permissions), so you can export it all
> you like.

Who says? If they don't say so, then legally, full perms stuff is only
full perms for SL use. If the content creator(s) give you permission to
move stuff around, that's different, but YOU don't have the right to
assume such things without explicit permission concerning this specific
point. Your right to "own" stuff only exists within the SL framework.
Outside the framework, the IP rights of the content creator
automatically revert to them.

Or such is how I have had it explained quite a few times over the years.

Lawson