[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy

k\o\w kow at sapinski.com
Thu Feb 25 09:45:48 PST 2010

The hashed MAC and id0 sent upon login is just a bonus. Linden collect
much more sensitive data from your PC using the viewerstats cap, which
includes unhashed MAC, id0, CPU serial, and a pretty thorough breakdown
of all your PC specs. I can confirm that this has been used to track
griefers and custom clients that spoof the login hashes to circumvent bans.

I think everyones approach to the new policy is a bit hostile.... have
you folks even read the original policies you agreed to? You've all
given up more rights than the new policies try to take away :)

The simple act of logging into SL can and has been classified as
"Disturbing the peace" and is grounds for account closure.

These new policies are nothing new, do not represent how 99% of the Lab
will act when dealing with "abuse", and were probably written by lawyers
who were tasked with making existing policies more legally binding
because of all those lawsuits LL has lost.

In any case, I'm going to go with Carlo Wood here and continue using my
own common sense. The default behaviour of my viewer will loosely follow
LLs guidelines, and will have plenty of options for spoofing, disabling,
and circumventing "features" that get in my way. Meerkat already
obfuscates a lot of sensitive info like mac and id0, allows the export
of full perm content, and so far I haven't had any complaints, just
praise. *crosses fingers*.

Linden haven't banned cryolife, vlife, neillife, and the majority of the
copybot viewers out there that DO identify uniquely upon login. You'll
probably have to burn a pretty big bridge for them to take action
against your client.