[opensource-dev] TPV Policy makes Secondlife *content* incompatible with CC-SA licenses

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Thu Feb 25 17:57:49 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:05:28AM -0300, Tigro Spottystripes wrote:
> if it's just about copying and modification, but not use, then how come
> we can't use, say a texture, without explicit permission from the
> creator under the risk of being prosecuted for copyright infringement?

I'm not using textures, I'm just using UUID's.

I'd like to see how law stops me from creating a new asset with
the same UUID's as another asset.

Long story short: it isn't about civil law. It's about LL letting
as know what is their policy, what might cause them to stop
viewers from connecting (or users from connecting) to their service.

LL is not going to sue anyone for copyright infringment if you
export a GPL script or a CSS texture, or when you write a viewer that allows
all kinds of nasty things. They can't, since all of that is legal.

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that even if someone
made some art, a photo of that art and then uploads that texture
to SL, then by the act of uploading (due to the TOS) they can't
sue LL or anyone else if they download that texture and view
it in a viewer. What a "viewer" is is rather vague; but ok, lets
say that then someone not only exports this texture but prints
in a book and sells that book; then imho only the original copyright
holder can sue that person, and still not LL; it's simply non
of their business (although they might decide to ban the author
of that book, but they can do that anyway, also without reason).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>