[opensource-dev] "Second-Party" viewer policy (was: Third party viewer policy)

David Simmons techiedavid at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 03:27:07 PST 2010

The common sense rules apply. If you are not connecting to the LL
grid, Linden Lab can't make any policy regarding what you do. They
don't need a policy saying that they can't make a policy telling you
what to do on another grid.
They are just trying to put into policy what LL has expressed in one
way or other over the years. Remember policy are not written for those
that are honest, but for those that are dishonest and having a way to
enforce it. For example; in my workplace we have an 1/2 hour lunch. I
have yet to see a supervisor watch the clock on anyone, but if someone
decides to take off for 2 hours and call it lunch, they will be in
trouble.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM, Morgaine
<morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Careful with the wording, Soft. :-)  [Bad wording is the reason for much of
> this thread, sadly.]
>
> You didn't actually mean, I hope: "Most apply to any third-party viewer
> however, even if you aren't distributing it."
>
> What you meant was, I hope: "Most apply to any third-party viewer when that
> viewer connects to the SL service, even if you aren't distributing it."
>
> Legally, there is a world of difference.  The original wording applies also
> when the third party viewer is used to connect to Opensim, for example,
> which you have no legal power nor community-friendly reason to restrict.
>
> We don't usually need to speak with mind-numbing precision, and can rely on
> context for brevity, but that absolutely does not work in the current
> subject with its legal ramifications.
>
> These dratted words, they're such a pain.  Instead of saying what we mean,
> they say what they say. :D
>

> Morgaine.
>

> =====================================
>
> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Soft Linden <soft at lindenlab.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Jay Reynolds Freeman
>> <jay_reynolds_freeman at mac.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > But what if there is no "third party"?  What if I develop a modified
>> > version of the SL viewer all by myself, and use it to log in to the SL
>> > servers, but do not distribute either source or binary for it?  Since there
>> > is no additional, "third" party involved in the creation and use of this
>> > viewer, it would appear that nothing in the "Linden Lab Policy on
>> > Third-Party Viewers" applies to it or to me.
>> >

>> The FAQ and revised TPV, coming soon, will address this directly.
>> There are some terms in there that don't apply if you aren't putting
>> the viewer in the registry, and they will be identified as such. Most
>> apply to any third-party viewer however, even if you aren't
>> distributing it.
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/OpenSource-Dev
>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting
>> privileges

“The greatest danger in modern technology isn't that machines will
begin to think like people, but that people will begin to think like
machines” Unknown

http://www.google.com/profiles/techiedavid