[opensource-dev] TPV Policy makes Secondlife *content* incompatible with CC-SA licenses

Gigs gigstaggart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 07:38:48 PST 2010

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> Gigs... I think what you're looking at is akin to Tivoization, and
> providing an external source for Tivoized content is compatible with
> GPL2 (and is one reason for the GPL3).

CC-SA has no external source provision, and specifically forbids any
copy protection being applied to the content.

If people are free to turn CC-SA content non-free by uploading it to a
service that requires every user to agree not to exercise their rights
under CC-SA, then CC-SA is fundamentally flawed.

-Jason