[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 27 12:02:02 PST 2010

Fleep, you give an excellent example highlighting the needs of Education in
this area.

Given the huge interest in educational content both in SL and in
Opensim-based grids such as Science Sim, this is certain to be of major and
growing interest.

Perhaps the FAQ could add a *new* clause FAQ.16 (renumbering the old FAQ.16
and all subsequent ones down) which reads something like this:

   - Q16: Are the rights of open source or open content providers respected?
   - A16: Yes.  To further protect the rights of content creators beyond
   FAQ.15, Linden Lab also respects the wishes of creators who release their
   content under open source or open content licenses to make their content
   freely exportable.  (Typical licenses are GPL, BSD, or Creative Commons.)
   The responsibility for ensuring that such content does not contravene FAQ.15
   rests entirely with the licensor, who must ensure that all parts either
   comply with FAQ.15 or have been released under an open license by their
   respective creators.

That works remarkably well in conjunction with FAQ.15, because 15 covers
everything that is not open content, and so neatly dumps the responsibility
for full compliance in the lap of each licensor in 16.

And I particularly like the word "Yes", and the phrasing "Linden Lab also
respects the wishes of creators who release their content under open source
or open content licenses to make their content freely exportable."  It would
show good intentions directly, and without any fudging.

Morgaine.