[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Sat Feb 27 18:09:57 PST 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Gareth Nelson <gareth at garethnelson.com> wrote:
> A few queries I have:
>
> Sometimes I code random small scripts to do quick inworld tasks - do I
> have to have 100% compliance for these scripts?
> I have a bot which comes in 2 parts - SL interface and AI engine, the
> SL interface being a simple protocol handler - how does the policy
> affect my AI engine if at all? If only the SL interface need be
> compliant, isn't this a major loophole in that the AI engine could use
> it to perform various malicious deeds?

If the scripted bit was causing the viewer to do something in
violation of SL terms, I'm pretty sure it (and the author) would be
handled as with any other non ToS-compliant content. If the viewer has
legitimate use, it shouldn't be affected.

> If I code a viewer which is designed for use with other grids, does
> not comply with the policy and is not intended for use on SL, but one
> of my users connects to SL with it anyway , how does that reflect on
> me?

The viewer wouldn't be eligible for inclusion in the Viewer Directory,
and only the people connecting with that viewer would be in violation.