[opensource-dev] FAQ posted for Third Party Viewer Policy

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:44:02 PST 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Joe Linden <joe at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> Yes, Mike, we created the Third Party Viewer Directory to promote a range
> of viewers that allow Residents to experience Second Life and everything in
> it in a wide variety of ways.

Joe, thanks for clarifying that what you are doing with the Directory is
"promotion" of Third Party Viewers.  Since it's just promotion, TPV
developers are free to ignore it when they excel on features and don't need
promotion, and of course you will never make promotion mandatory.

It's great that you clarified this, because people were mistakenly thinking
that instead of promotion, what you were trying to do is to regulate 3rd
party viewers and prevent them from gaining features that push the envelope
and make your own viewers look poor in comparison.

It's always useful when such misapprehensions are laid to rest.

Have a good day, and many thanks! :-)

Morgaine.