[opensource-dev] Second Life Community Convention 2010 - Boston - Aug 13-15th

Fleep Tuque fleep513 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 00:26:48 PDT 2010

Hi all,

Sending out the official announcement about this year's SLCC 2010, we look
forward to a really terrific convention this year!   Be sure to visit the
website at http://slconvention.org to submit a proposal, volunteer to lead a
track, or just plain volunteer - we always need the help!

As a side note, we've received a couple of requests for a "Technical &
OpenSource" track for the convention this year, which we're happy to add to
the program, but only if someone can step up to the plate to lead the track
and/or we get enough proposal submissions.  If you might be willing to do
this and have questions, feel free to let me know or just go ahead and fill
out the Track Leader form on the website.  We don't want to leave any
segment of Second Life out, but we need folks from the community to help
represent their areas too!

All the best,

- Fleep

*2010 Second Life Community Convention -- Coming Together!*

The 6th annual Second Life Community Convention (SLCC) will take place in
Boston, August 13-15, at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel and Towers, with a new
organizing committee at the helm. AvaCon, Inc. has taken over the reins for
the convention with a team experienced in the production of SLCC.

The goal of SLCC is to bring the many Residents of the Second Life community
together to network, build friendships and to discuss Second Life in a
common forum. Since its inception, SLCC has been organized *by* the
community *for* the community. All of the organizers and volunteers who plan
and staff each year’s convention donate their time, expertise, skills and
love of Second Life® to create a great experience for attendees. “While we
all value our experiences in the virtual world, SLCC allows us to meet each
other in person, share meals together, learn from one another, and celebrate
the abundant creativity that Second Life® makes possible,” says organizer
Misty Rhodes.

The Second Life Community Convention presents a number of tracks relating to
how people are using SL. Last years convention tracks included Education,
Business, Health and Support, Nonprofit, Music, Fashion, Art, Theatre,
Poetry, Performance & Community. This year organizers are melding areas
which have overlapped in the past. “We’ve changed the names of some of the
tracks slightly to better reflect the most common topics at the convention,
and we expect that Business & Enterprise, Education & Research, and the Live
Music & Performances track will be equivalent to ‘full tracks’ with the most
sessions per day, while the remaining tracks will be ‘half tracks’ with
fewer sessions over all,” explains Rhiannon Chatnoir of the organizing team.

AvaCon, Inc. has launched a new website at http://www.slconvention.org which
has all the details for the convention content, registration, sponsorship,
and volunteering opportunities. The site will act as the center for
information about tracks, social events, location, and other details for
attendees. Submission forms for proposals for panels and presentations can
be found there, along with specifics for advertising in the convention
program.

Sponsorship opportunities are also available for the Second Life Community
Convention. Sponsors have the opportunity to reach a highly coveted target
demographic of tech-savvy early adopters, virtual world developers and
thought leaders, online community organizers, and the most innovative and
dedicated Second Life Residents. In addition to reaching the audience of
350-400 attendees of the convention in Boston, sponsors also have the
opportunity to reach an even broader audience of thousands of Second Life
residents through the virtual convention site hosted in the virtual world of
 Second Life <http://secondlife.com/>.

Registration for the convention includes access to the convention content,
exhibits, and lunches on convention days. The Early-Bird Registration is
available to the first 50 paid registrants at $185.  Through July 3, Early
Registration is $230, and the Regular Registration price is $260.

Because SLCC is organized *for* Second Life Residents *by* Second Life
Residents, including teens – there’s something for everyone! Content
creators, artists, and musicians attend to share ideas, get creative, and
learn new techniques from the pros. Enterprise users and businesses discuss
strategies for success and techniques for maximum ROI. Educators present
research, best practices, and workshops. From casual users, community
groups, and roleplayers to the serious side of Second Life, come to the
conference to learn, share, and network with the real people behind the
avatars!

*AvaCon, Inc.* is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the
growth, enhancement, and development of the metaverse, virtual worlds,
augmented reality, and 3D immersive and virtual spaces. AvaCon holds
conventions and meetings to promote educational and scientific inquiry into
these spaces, and to support organized fan activities, including
performances, lectures, art, music, machinima, and much more. AvaCon's
primary goal is to connect and support the diverse communities and
practitioners involved in co-creating and using virtual worlds, and to
educate the public about the emerging ecosystem of technologies broadly
known as the metaverse.

Contact:

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Director of IT & Communications