[opensource-dev] Moving #opensl (IRC) to freenode.net

Aleric Inglewood aleric.inglewood at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 05:38:00 PDT 2010

After a short brain storm on the latest office hours, it
was decided that it makes more sense for an open source
project to use an IRC channel on freenode.

Pending objections (with arguments), we should
make the move this week. Please reconfigure your
IRC client and see if you can find it and join us
there.

Right now we registered #opensl only.

A few servers you can choose from:

irc.freenode.net
irc.eu.freenode.net
irc.au.freenode.net
irc.us.freenode.net

All of which should listen on at least port 6667.

A detailed list of servers can be found here:
http://freenode.net/irc_servers.shtml

About freenode. Most question should be answered in their FAQ (
http://freenode.net/faq.shtml)
for example for nick registration and cloaking your hostname if you so
require.

Note that one of the advantages that we get from this move (though by no
mean
the reason) is that freenode allows very long nick names, so that it becomes
possible to use your full SL name as nick name if you wish.