[opensource-dev] Snowglobe as an mixed reality platform

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Fri Mar 5 17:36:09 PST 2010

Hi Tuomas,

First, thanks a lot for joining us here in Snowglobe. I've seen your video
when it came out a few months ago and I was hoping to see you chime in here
back then :)

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Kantonen Tuomas <Tuomas.Kantonen at vtt.fi>wrote:

> The project, continuing also in 2010, is split into two parts:
> overlaying a video image with avatars and virtual objects (augmented
> reality; AR) and using hand and head gestures to control avatars and
> interact with virtual objects (augmented virtuality; AV).
>
> We have agreed to release our work as open source. However, lack of
> continuous "forward porting" would soon render the released code
> unusable. It would therefore be better to have some parts of our
> work incorporated into the Snowglobe sources.

The whole thing is: which parts? As others mentioned in this thread, we
eventually would like to develop a plugin architecture that will make easier
for this kind of work to be developed and integrated. We do have such an
embryonic API used for media currently. I think we could expand that
architecture to integrate things like avatar gesture and puppeteering as you
did (something I also do have some experience with and a personal interest
in).

At the same time, I don't think it's reasonable to wait for the Glorious
Future to show up before considering contributions and experimentations like
yours (or we'll never get anywhere...).

> I've tried to keep all our modifications as small as possible. The
> project is separated to our own ACME (Augmented Collaboration in Mixed
> Environments) module, vanilla Snowglobe code and an interface between
> the two.
>

> I'd be ready to invest some time to implement a generic AR/AV support
> for Snowglobe if we could come up with a design that could be accepted
> by the Snowglobe developers. This would allow anyone to use Snowglobe
> as AR/AV research platform, with or without our software.

OK, let's start somewhere then. If you already do have code ported to
Snowglobe, it's worth setting up a place to post this so we can review and
see how best we could integrate that in the current architecture. I
encourage you to create a JIRA on the public JIRA and attach a patch to it
(I'm expecting a big patch though...). Considering the breath of the
feature, you should also create a page on the wiki to store there any
documentation. Let me know if you need help for this, I'll be happy to
assist you.

Cheers,
- Merov