[opensource-dev] Question regarding llSetLinkPimitiveParamsFast() function in 1.38.0

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 07:41:16 PST 2010

On 2010-03-07, at 08:39, Obsidian Kindragon wrote:
> I've a quick question regarding the new llSetLinkPimitiveParamsFast()
> function in 1.38.0. Why did LL opt for a new function instead of just
> removing the delay from the current llSetLinkPrimitiveParams()
> function?

Because code that currently depends on the implicit delay would break.

This is similar to the reason many computers in the '80s had a "turbo"
switch that throttled you down to 4.77 MHz so you could play games
that depended on timing loops.

> I can't conceive any case where removing the delay from the current
> function would break any existing content.

Code that wants to do something periodically and uses the delay as a
timer.

Yes, that's bad code. Doesn't change the fact that it exists.