[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 12:23:33 PST 2010

On 2010-03-09, at 14:12, Tayra Dagostino wrote:
> I think yoiu've misreaded the TPV policy, no GPL violation, viewer
> code is GPL, you can take a copy from svn, manipulate it, patch or
> mood, rename it, all GPL let u do with it (and consequential charges
> for a developer who work on a GPL code)
>
> TPV is like an addendum to TOS, if you want use Linden Lab grids you
> should follow some rules... this is server side, no viewer code
> involved... the Linden services aren't GPL...

Doesn't matter. LL can't impose a restriction like "you have to stop
distributing your ripper viewer" through any contract, license, or
policy if they're going to use the GPL for the viewer.

Now, they don't HAVE to use the GPL. Since they own 100% of the
copyright in the viewer they can even use a "modified GPL that isn't
really the GPL". But they can't use the GPL and impose restrictions
that the GPL doesn't allow, whether they're spelled out in the viewer
code license, the TPV, or magic license fairies.

They get this, and are working on fixing it, it's just taking longer
than anticipated to get it through their hot and spicy attorneys.