[opensource-dev] Request for comments about llSetAgentEnvironment / SVC-5520

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Wed Mar 10 11:02:55 PST 2010

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:53:26 -0500, "Maggie Leber (sl: Maggie Darwin) "
<maggie at matrisync.com> wrote:
> in Viewer 2 they're just as buried as they are on 1.23. Under a
> World menu called "Sun", of all things.
>
> *How many users know how to change
> them NOW?*
>
> If it was easier to do, would you even be lobbying to make them
> automatic under the control of the parcel owner?

I agree that their current location is an issue. (1)

At the same time, if parcel owners got more control, I'd need
to use sky settings controls much less. Finding a decent / good
lighting setting for any place would be easier and quicker;
and better, because good content builders would also choose
the appropriate light settings.

So I see two separate issues here:
1. the UI one is about usability - it looks like an easy fix, that
may be solved the same way as 'Gestures', 'Camera' controls
got implented in the bottom bar (e.g., you can hide them);
2. the parcel/estate owner controls, that I see as a needed
sort of 'content experience' improvement.

(1)
as a workaround, here's an easy XML patch for those who
often tweak sky settings - as said, it's a workaround,
not a solution.
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Opensource_Obscure/Panel_Navigation_Bar

opensource obscure