[opensource-dev] Snowglobe 2.0^H^H^H1.3 way forward?

Armin Weatherwax armin.weatherwax at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:19:31 PST 2010

Soft Linden schrieb:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 08:47:57AM -0800, Soft Linden wrote:
> >> With larger features like mesh coming along, know that you'll be
> >> signing up for an awfully large chunk of porting work though.
> >
> > Last time I asked there was nothing being done about mesh.
> > There were no plans and certainly no code!
>
> This was publicly demo'd at SLCC:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swh6gY_dEH0
>
> I don't know what's been announced since then and don't have a close
> relationship with the graphics guys. I'd hit Runitai's office hours
> if you want to know the current state of everything rendered.

e.g. that:

<q at lindenlab.com> wrote On Jan 14, 2010, at 06:55:

On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Dale Mahalko wrote:

> There are other important questions to ask about SL 2.0.
>
> Will the mesh implementation... <SNIP>

NO.

I don't know how the mesh rumor got started, but it's already been
stated in this thread that 2.0 will NOT include mesh support. All the
questions are interesting, but they don't apply yet.

> If LL's history is any indication, SL 2.0 will just assume by default
> that everyone has a 50 megabit Internet connection, and if you have a
> mere 256 kbit you are not going to be able to do much of anything.
> (Where's the official support for an organizational-level proxied
> asset/texture cache? I've pretty much given up hope that LL will ever
> care about its limited-bandwifth users with a huge number of people on
> a limited pipe, like at schools.)

Well, I'd like it if you wouldn't give up hope. It's a hard problem, and
you're not likely to see much change in viewer 2.0. But with the advent
of lighter-weight computing devices at all levels, we do have to evolve
a more bandwidth-flexible set of protocols, and it's an issue that has
become a regular part of our thinking as we consider the future.

_______