[opensource-dev] Fwd: Request for comments about llSetAgentEnvironment / SVC-5520

Rob Nelson nexisentertainment at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 03:31:54 PDT 2010

I agree;  In fact, people have been trying to communicate with Lindens
in some meaningful way (as is required in Open Source projects) since
the beginning of the open-sourcing of the viewer, but it seems that
Linden Lab seems more inclined to dictate what changes WILL be done
rather than gathering a consensus with OSS developers. See: hidden
SVN/HG servers, unreleased SL 2.0 beta source code, overall poor bug
turnover and triage in PJIRA (SVC-1509, anyone?), office hours vanishing
into thin air...

Quite frankly, the idea of forking the entirety of SL (OpenSim and
viewers), as suggested by Morgaine, is looking quite attractive.  At
least then the community can actually contribute without being shot
down, blocked by a wall of red tape, or chased off by rabid TPV
policies.  We can then also contribute to the server-side of things
rather than waiting for the server goons to get around to adding or
fixing features.

Fred Rookstown