[opensource-dev] Fwd: Request for comments about llSetAgentEnvironment / SVC-5520

k\o\w kow at sapinski.com
Sun Mar 14 11:10:08 PDT 2010

I have to agree, the state of both SL and OpenSim is a royal mess. SL
has already been forked, dozens of times. At SLCC '08 we spoke with Rob
Lanphier about our announcement and presentation of the Meerkat viewer
and were met with quite a bit of hostility. Linden simply did not want a
competing viewer project at that time, and I believe that still holds
true and is the reason Snowglobe was created.

The most popular 3rd party viewer used in SL, Emerald Viewer, is
unfortunately run by people so proud and protective of their open source
code that they refuse to have a public SVN, let alone allow any
collaboration. The entire OpenSim community is so afraid of being sued
by Linden that they won't allow their developers to look at the SL code
for an entire 6 months before they can continue working on OpenSim. Even
though the GPL explicitly allows a developer to study the entire SL code
base and develop non-GPL code using knowledge gathered from the GPL
project. The RealXtend developers fell right into that trap, and wasted
a lot of time and money running concurrent development teams that
couldn't look at each others code. And when the frustrations of their
isolated development became too annoying,  RealXtend started their own
BSD viewer.

Going forward, I think the best solution is to fork the viewer and
OpenSim using distributed version control, while maintaining full
compatibility with Lindens protocol, features, and servers. If we want
the metaverse to progress and develop faster, we need to cater to the
biggest metaverse communities out there, and develop clever ways to fill
the voids that Linden refuses to. The Emerald Viewer team has shown was
is possible when a large community adopts slightly ghetto hacked-in
features like Client ID or chat encryption. We have the ability to store
a lot of custom information on the SL grid in the form of textures
(sculpts!) and notecards (client side AO!), so lets continue doing cool
things with that ability. One thing that is certain is that the
community is very willing to adopt these enhancements once they're made.

I think it has become very clear that Linden don't want a community run
viewer project, but a viewer project that they are in full control of
that only works in their vision of SL. Patches for content import/export
and grid hopping have been deleted from the Linden JIRA, further
crippling our abilities to do cool things like being able to develop SL
content entirely within 3ds max or offline in a local OpenSim server.

The biggest hurdle will still be assembling a community of willing and
able developers. Over the course of the two years that I ran the Meerkat
Viewer project, we saw maybe 5 people step up and offer their time to
the project, and of those only about 2 submitted something. It seems
every developer has their own vision for the metaverse and is hellbent
on running their own viewer project. We gave up with Meerkat and
consolidated our work into another viewer project because we understood
that developing the same things concurrently is a huge waste of time. I
think that even now, the developers of other viewer projects waste half
their time merging and patching in features from other clients! The end
result is a handful of clients with more or less the exact same features.

My hellbent vision of the metaverse is the Emerald Viewer team putting
their code into Mercurial or Git and letting us have a go at it. The SL
userbase has spoken, and Emerald is the most widely used community run
project. Unfortunately the open source devs have had many years and
opportunities to work together, and I don't see ours, or Lindens
stubbornness magically changing any time soon. What is is going to take?