[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sun Mar 14 19:35:07 PDT 2010

Now you mention it...

Yes, a few people are making thousands of dollars per month
and are having their RL day job in SL... so, now they would
kill to protect that income, but...

Imho, SL would have have had better products if everything
had been free and open (no permission system). Then one could
learn from others and improve things, build upon the experience
and work of others, and nobody would make money of it or have
to be afraid that others would.

The fact that scripts can't be copied is lucky for those
that are making real money in SL, it is their only and last
protection against losing their income.

That brings me to the fact that LL is currently working
in secret and without discussion on the implementation
of client-side scripting, and from the tiny bit of information
that leaked out, they are apparently trying hard to make
also THOSE scripts hard to copy / inspect / improve upon.

Why? Is anyone already making money with client-side scripting?
No. So why try to make it impossible to copy it?

Anti open source? Or maybe just trying to protect their
OWN income by using the law (TPV) on one hand and obscurity
(binary client-side script blobs) on the other hand to
avoid that four years worth of assets flow to other grids.

I'm sorry to think that LL would be happy if opensim grids
would be bare lands that literally lag four or more years
behind in content. That is why I have to wonder if LL's
suddenly attempts to protect Intellectual Properties isn't
actually driven by self preservation only.

And I still want OPEN client-side script development.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>