[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

New Hax newhaxx at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 20:01:15 PDT 2010

On 3/14/10, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:

> Imho, SL would have have had better products if everything
> had been free and open (no permission system). Then one could
> learn from others and improve things, build upon the experience
> and work of others, and nobody would make money of it or have
> to be afraid that others would.

We can still make it that way. Copyclients still work for now. And
lots of them cant be detected by Linden Labs.  So if we get out there
and free a lot of content before Linden Labs closes up the viewer then
Linden Labs will have no choice but to embrace a FREE and OPEN grid.

Nobody should be making money in SL. Think, it could be a hacker or
experimenter or THINKERS paradise instead of a capitalist platform.

> The fact that scripts can't be copied is lucky for those
> that are making real money in SL, it is their only and last
> protection against losing their income.

And their time will come and their locked up proprietary stuff will be
freed, also. There are lots of coders working on that.

> That brings me to the fact that LL is currently working
> in secret and without discussion on the implementation
> of client-side scripting, and from the tiny bit of information
> that leaked out, they are apparently trying hard to make
> also THOSE scripts hard to copy / inspect / improve upon.

I say they should go for it with client side scripting. Then we will
be able to open it up and share everyones scripts. Right now scripts
are locked away on the server and is the last link that we as hackers
and coders cant open.

Everyone who believes in a real OPEN grid should get out there and
copy and FREE (do not charge for it) as much proprietary content as
you can. Teach content makers and Linden Labs by force (we have
control) that the only future is FREE.

****
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free

Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.

When we have enough free software
At our call, hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, hackers, ever more.

Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
****
Song PUBLIC DOMAIN by Richard M. Stallman!!!

I'm OUT!