[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Mon Mar 15 06:52:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 01:29:16AM +0000, Thomas Grimshaw wrote:
> *I own and even have developed software that can copy any content from
> second life.  Have I ever used this to violate copyright? Nope, I just
> didn't want to spend time building in content protection when the
> software was only for my use (to export my own builds, animations etc to
> opensim).

Or wanting to modify it for personal reasons (not to modify it
and then sell it). Lots of products are no-mod under the false
impression that that makes it harder to copy them, while it
only advocates copying.

I only ever buy things that are modify. Often I want them to be
copy too, because I want a backup if I'm going to modify something
(or maybe multiple versions until I'm satisfied with the end result).
Finally, I need them to be trans often, because I have a partner
in world and we share everything. What is mine is his and visa
versa. Buying two of the same doesn't work if you want to modify
things (The product costs only L$ 100 (USD$ 0.36) but modding it
to fit my avie costs 2 HOURS (USD$ 100) and I really don't like
to do that TWICE).

How could we (... ok Linden Lab, cause we don't control the servers),
improve things?

* Allow people to keep a copy of modifiable objects in their
  inventory: change "no copy" to mean: only one may be rezzed
  at a time; but you can copy them inside your inventory and
  change them all seperatedly. (In fact, why not allow to
  sell products that can be rezzed N times, but no more).

* Allow giving no-trans copies to your partner anyway (make
  being a partner have a meaning). Still only one could be
  rezzed at a time if it's no-copy, but in that case you could
  buy two.

* Allow transfering modifications (after all those are your I.P.).
  Thus: buy Product --> copy product (in inventory, always possible)
  --> rez one copy and modify Product (this copy will have to
  remember the original anyway, because it needs to keep track
  of how many are rezzed), then allow to transfer/copy the
  changes between the two to anyone; this new asset should
  allow the new owner to apply it to the same Product (which
  they can buy from the original creator of needed), in fact
  this should be automated:

* Allow to point-click buy objects in world. Such an object
  might be created by X, then modified by Y and then modified
  by Z; each could have put a price on their modifications.
  The result might be too expensive, so it should be possible
  to quickly view the previous mods as well.

> *So what can we do?
>
> *Please excuse a possibly callous tone - but STOP whining and start
> thinking outside of the box.  You *will never be able to stop piracy
> completely* - so don't even try. I've already explained why I think that
> piracy is a war of convenience, and the solution is simple - make your
> content more convenient.

See above :)  *)

*) .------------------.
   |                  |
   |                  |  <--- Original box here.
   |                  |
   |                  |
   `------------------'

> - Maximise accessibility. Keep your stores lag-free, don't use silly
> teleport routing, and make your store organisation transparent.

Sorry, but the most annoying of all is to see a product in-world
and then have to find the creator, then his picks, then guess which
pick might be a LM to the shop where the product is sold, and
then either end up in bare land cause the shop moved or to end up
on a sim-sized "shop" where you can't find the product.

What is wrong with this image:

	"OMG! I want that!" *right-click->buy->pay*done*.

> - Don't intimidate your customers.  For goodness sake, shut off those
> stupid "copybot protection" scripts (they don't even work), and take
> down those copyright notices. If these people are in YOUR store, it
> means they're not in a store selling pirated stuff. Treat them with respect.

My creator-friend has this text in his Picks:

  Please don't copybot my products. If you can't
  afford it, ask me and I'll give to you for free.

Carlo (without an 's').