[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Vex Streeter vexstreeter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 06:59:11 PDT 2010

Excellent discussion, Thomas - I think I concur on every point.

I'd add, however, that I think LL could tweak the economic model to
discourage for-profit content theft.  Perhaps requiring that account be
verified in order to convert L$ to real world currency or even a monthly
L$ transaction limit.  No, I haven't thought about it very deeply, but
since DRM is so often counterproductive, perhaps cracking down on the
money laundering side of the equation would be a better (and much less
intrusive) approach.

Event so, such things do not (and cannot) address the problem of people
who rip off content without profit motive. The basic truth is that some
content requires more up front time and effort than a service-based
economic model can support. I've never heard a cogent argument from the
"everything digital should be gratis" crowd on how they thing such
things ought to be funded.

Speaking as someone whose RL work has been ripped off and is widely
distributed for free, I *really* wish I had the same options that SL
could offer in the real world.

Cheers,
    Vex