[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Soft Linden soft at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 15 07:31:14 PDT 2010

On Monday, March 15, 2010, Vex Streeter <vexstreeter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excellent discussion, Thomas - I think I concur on every point.
>
> I'd add, however, that I think LL could tweak the economic model to
> discourage for-profit content theft.  Perhaps requiring that account be
> verified in order to convert L$ to real world currency or even a monthly
> L$ transaction limit.  No, I haven't thought about it very deeply, but
> since DRM is so often counterproductive, perhaps cracking down on the
> money laundering side of the equation would be a better (and much less
> intrusive) approach.

We're very active on squashing the financial side, and go out of our
way to prevent cash-outs in these cases, even adding burden to
third-party exchanges. It's best done with a multi-pronged approach,
so our successes there don't stop us from supplementing with other
approaches.

Any additional ideas on squashing fraud are always appreciated, via
mail to security at lindenlab.com. Please don't hold those discussions on
this list.