[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Gareth Nelson gareth at garethnelson.com
Tue Mar 16 02:34:28 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM, New Hax <newhaxx at gmail.com> wrote:
> Soft Linden said:
>
> "Content theft, griefing and resource abuse have been
> long-term problems."
>
> I've been a lurker here but are you KIDDING ME? When Linden Labs open
> sourced Second Life, they were right along side us saying to
> proprietary content developers YOU CANNOT PROTECT YOUR CONTENT.
>
> Has that changed now and Linden labs is protecting people who make
> their binary blobs and think they should be protected???
>
> Linden Labs says if we don't cooperate then o noes we'll get
> throttled.  If Linden Labs closes the source your going to have a lot
> of angry coders on your hands and just to show it content "theft" and
> "griefing" will skyrocket!
>
> Lindens should be staying with their promises, Open Source has
> contributed more to Second Life than people who make shoes that they
> want to keep proprietary and not share. I'll say it again you canot
> protect content. Ever. DRM goes against the spirit of Open Source and
> if content creators cant get with that then they should find a new
> business and it shouldnt be on the INTERNET.
>
> I never get "griefed" in secondlife anymore.
>
> anyways if Linden Labs wants to fight against the Open Source
> community they can TRY but they wont win. We can fork and we can make
> a place where open freedoms are respected.

As much as I oppose copyright (seriously - i'm very open on this
subject right down to being a member of the pirate party), I heavily
disagree with the implication that being against "content theft" is
any kind of attack on the open source community..

I agree it can't be protected against, but that does not mean it
should be encouraged by LL either - I believe that so long as
copyright law exists, LL should enforce it on their platform.

But, I heavily disagree on open source contributing more to SL than
content creators - what use is an empty virtual world, even one that
has killer technology?

Content creators are often whining at LL for not doing the
mathematically impossible (preventing copying), but we should not
start whining at them for not doing the legally impossible
(encouraging copyright infringement on their platform).

--
“Lanie, I’m going to print more printers. Lots more printers. One for
everyone. That’s worth going to jail for. That’s worth anything.” -