[opensource-dev] oh give me a break

Glen Canaday gcanaday at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 15:03:33 PDT 2010

That's part the point I've been hesitant to make. It's one thing to not
be able to stop IP violations, but it's quite another to deliberately
*enable* them and turn the other cheek when the theft is obvious. That's
where the TPV policy comes in, and it's where Emerald's "project opal"
(that what it's called?) comes in. It's also where viewer developers
come in.

SL would be as empty of people and content as my standalone OpenSim home
/ testing grid if it were permitted. In order to keep our own Second
Lives worth having, viewer devs need to not deliberately enable copying.
Can't predict the effects of every single little bug, but it still
behooves the programmer to be vigilant about it.

The Gimp is free software but the pictures made with it aren't unless
that right is given by the creator. Same as in SL. And that's the major
point that brings the whole copyright / theft discussion back on topic
for the list. Seems a few lurkers are thinking that they own the hole
they've been digging themselves into. I'm all for free tools - the Mona
Lisa could have been painted with free brushes or magic special
Microsoft brushes - but that doesn't mean that because I gave DaVinci
the brush, canvas, and paints that I'm free to take the art out of the
Louvre.

Hopefully that kills this thread.

--GC