[opensource-dev] Fixing the 2.0 chat bar focus problem?

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:42:29 PDT 2010

OK, here's a design problem in the new viewer that maybe can be
figured out here.

 From the Jira, I missed this response to one of my comments, some
time ago. Apologies, I forgot to "watch" the item:

 From Q Linden:
> Argent: the focus problem differs this time because the chat bar is
> always present; we have no mechanism to make it go away, so if we
> always gave it focus it would block normal keyboard use. Personally,
> I'm an AWSD movement person, so I actually find this works really
> well for me. It's not quite as obviously wrong as you seem to think.
> However, I understand the use case and we'll talk about it internally.

This is exactly the same problem that we had the last two times. This
is exactly the same discussion we had the last two times. There are
many many people who never use any of the keyboard accelerators in SL,
and always have the chat bar up and in focus. The chat bar focus NEVER
goes away. For us, normal keyboard use does not involve anything the
chat bar blocks.

So, how could this be fixed in the 2.0 viewer without causing
discombobulation?

An option "chat bar is the default focus"?

What would that actually break?