[opensource-dev] Fixing the 2.0 chat bar focus problem?

Kitty sldev at catznip.com
Wed Mar 17 03:29:30 PDT 2010

> > What would that actually break?
>
> As I mentioned above, enabling such an option would make it
> impossible to use any of the single letter hotkeys. If we can
> think of a good way to indicate to the user that those
> hotkeys would be (effectively) disabled by enabling the
> proposed option, then I don't see any reason not to implement
> it. Any ideas?

C - does the same as Pg Dwn
E - same as Pg Up
F - same as Home
G - snap to Grid (can just be a Ctrl combination like everything else
build-related)
H - focus on selection (can just be a Ctrl combination)
M - same as mousewheel forward to enter mouselook and mousewheel back to
leave mouselook

WASD - same as the movement keys

I can't really see what would be more intuitive than using the movement keys
for movement by default... Pg Up to jump/fly and Pg Down to fly down works
as well (and they're all near each other in a separate block).

So given that all the currently used A-Z keys are rather redundant what
would be the main reason to have them be enabled by default? Nothing breaks
by removing them by default because they're all non-obvious duplicates of
other keys (and again typing "was" and seeing "was" appear makes more sense
than doing a weird little dance) and really not referenced anywhere.

Kitty