[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 16:18:43 PDT 2010

Well it seems that we can choose not to publish our RL identity to the open.
I too wonder why LL can't link our RL data with our avatars themselves,
since most (if not all) of us are Premium members or have been in the past.
There is certainly a very good internal reason that they cannot disclose,
and it's ok.

What scares me is that the FAQ (and the TPV itself) states that LL "may"
publish these data in the future. They don't say whether "if", or rather
"when" they choose to do so, people who have given their RL data to have
their work published on the viewer directory will be given the choice to
opt-out or not. They can opt-out now, they should be certain they will still
be able to opt-out at any time, prior to pushing the switch. KirstenLee and
Legolas have had their RL info disclosed for a few days already. Maybe they
didn't care, but fact is that they were published then, and are hidden now.
Something must have happened. And if this was a mistake, I would dare to say
it was a very serious one, serious enough to actually sue LL for disclosing
private information without prior consent.

But I digress. The viewer directory is only informative, and is in no way a
certification for the published viewers. A malicious viewer could very well
be published there for a few days or months before the author turns
something on that lays havoc on the grid or on the user data. Like those
virii that activate themselves only on a certain date. There is still no way
of being certain that what you download is safe, viewer directory or not.
That's why I think risking our RL identities on something that holds so
little value is not worth it.